Each year we see incredible messages shared on the Showquest stage showcasing Art, Music, Dance, Drama, Culture & Technology from students across the motu. Student-led performances showcase a range of powerful as well as more light-hearted themes, which have included - women's rights and the suffrage movement, choosing alternatives to fast fashion, the history of Radio Hauraki and pirate radio, phases of Maramataka - the Māori lunar calendar, celebrating our essential service workers and so many more!
Showcasing these themes onstage brings together groups of up to 100 students per school to collaborate, plan, practice and perform - developing students' leadership, teamwork and confidence. Rangatahi may be just 17% of the population, but they are 100% of our future! (MYD Youth Plan).
Being involved in Showquest has a range of benefits for rangatahi, schools, whānau and the wider community.
- Student-led programme - students are encouraged to take on leadership roles, plan and lead rehearsals and work collaboratively with their peers
- Students have a platform to shine a light on what’s important to them and express their views onstage
- Inclusive programme with roles for students in all areas - on stage performers, planners/directors, backstage, lighting, costume/makeup, wearable art and more
- Students can gain NCEA credits across a range of subject areas (teachers provided with info and resources to assess)
- Supports emotional wellbeing - developing self-esteem and self-pride through performing onstage
- Strengthens bonds with peers and feeling of belonging within a school community
- Enhances physical wellbeing - movement through dance which is a great alternative or accompaniment to traditional PE or sport
- Students are exposed to different cultures, viewpoints and ideas - helps to develop deeper understanding and empathy for others
- Receive recognition for the arts on a national scale
- School pride - successes are mana-enhancing and builds community within the school
- Teachers receive performance videos which can be used for NCEA assessment
- All schools receive written “feed-forward” from industry judges to support creative rangatahi
- Students have a creative and fun outlet within school - helps to keep ākonga engaged in their schooling
- Opportunities for students to develop as leaders and team players
- Develop relationships (and friendly rivalries) with neighbouring schools
- Fits into the year as an alternative to a resource-heavy production, or on a biannual rotation
- Lighting equipment, PA, venue, ticketing, judging, hosts are all managed by Showquest - schools that lack resources are provided with an equitable and accessible low-cost and high quality experience
For whānau and community
- Incredibly special experience to have whānau, friends and the wider community fill up local theaters and arenas in support of student's artistic expression
- Young people can use the stage as their voice and share important messages to their whānau and community
- Sharing of creative expression and support from whānau promotes intergenerational well-being
- Deepens understanding of diversity within the community - cultures, identities and ideas
- Celebrates shared identity within local community - shared history, whakapapa and lived experiences
For supporters and partners
- We’re always looking to work with aligned funders, companies and individuals - contact us!
- Connect with schools and audiences nationwide across 12 regions - 11,000+ audience and 5,800+ student participants each year
- Support low-cost equitable access for all rangatahi to participate
- Help to showcase and encourage pathways into the arts for school leavers
- Sponsor prizes and awards for outstanding rangatahi
"On behalf of Orewa College I just wanted to say a huge thank you for everything over the past two days. Both our teams had an amazing time and every contact our students had with one of your team members just left them buzzing. Of course, we love the acknowledgement of the awards at the end, but for us the biggest benefit is the experience. Being there on the day, in a proper theatre, amongst other schools, working with professional theatre staff, and performing to a huge audience are just invaluable opportunities for our performers."
"Thanks for yet another incredible event. You guys keep getting better and better and the amount of communication and professionalism is amazing. Thanks to you and everyone on the team it has been a pleasure to be a part of Showquest right from the start. We can't wait for next year!"
"Showquest is an amazing opportunity that allows students with all different talents to work together to create a project that we are all passionate about. Having friendly staff at Showquest helps build the positive creative energy students thrive off."
"Showquest provides an amazing opportunity for students to showcase their passion and talent in a variety of artforms. It was such a new, challenging and fulfilling experience for us as we explored the intersections of dance, music, film and wearable art. Our leadership and collaboration skills were also developed in the process. The event organisers were always supportive of us and I honestly can't wait to craft another entry for next year!"
What are you waiting for?
Showquest - March 12 • Wearable Art - April 9 • OnScreen - July 30